OUR HISTORY


Greater Ward African Methodist Episcopal Church was born in February 1913 in a community north of downtown Houston. Greater Ward is named after Bishop Thomas M.D. Ward, the tenth bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, who founded the first A.M.E. church in Colorado.
The first place of worship for Ward Chapel, as it was originally called, was the home of the late Rev. John T. and Mrs. Cassie Williams. The pastor and members worked together diligently until they were able to build their first edifice. That edifice was destroyed by fire in 1934 during the pastorate of Rev. J.T. Flood.
The Wright Land Company later gave two lots to Ward Chapel Church. These lots were located on Sherman Street across from Galilee Baptist Church. Ward Chapel's membership voted to exchange their two lots with Mr. and Mrs. Ware, thereby choosing another site for the church. This choice was made because the streets were not developed at that time. Ward Chapel was one of the first major churches in the Acres Homes community, along with Galilee Baptist Church.
Somehow, through an error, the church was erected on the wrong lots. After 35 years at this location, an affidavit was drawn up and presented to the church, which deeded the property to Ward Chapel. The location of these lots is Arabella Street and Granville Drive, Houston, Texas 77091.
Ward Chapel was part of a circuit in its early days. The other two churches on that circuit were Green Chapel and Jones Chapel.
Charter Members
The charter members of Ward Chapel were:
Rev. Morgan and Mrs. Fannie Houston
Mrs. Mattie Houston Patterson
Mr. Willie Blount
Rev. John T. Williams
Mrs. Cassie Williams
Mr. and Mrs. Wylie Adams
Mr. Willie and Mrs. Annie Daniels
Mrs. Mary Steward
Reverends C.L. Boyd, B.W. Wiseman, and C.J. Alexander were instrumental in the construction of the parsonage and the enlargement of the sanctuary. Reverends A.T. Harris and X.L. Williams began the first financial drive for the construction of a new sanctuary.
Rev. O.L. Dawson led the membership in the construction of the new sanctuary where we worship today. The congregation entered the new sanctuary on January 27, 1957, with Bishop H. Thomas Primm conducting the service.
In 1962, the church purchased another lot for a new parsonage under the leadership of Rev. O.L. Dawson. The old parsonage was torn down in July 1963, and the old sanctuary was sold to what is now Mount Calvary A.M.E. Church in 1964. During this time, a new parsonage and fellowship hall were built. In October 1964, Bishop O.L. Sherman conducted the dedication service for the new fellowship hall and parsonage.
In 1979, under the leadership of Rev. L.E. Reid, the mortgage for the new sanctuary was liquidated. The mortgage for the fellowship hall and parsonage was liquidated in 1984 under the leadership of Rev. A.V. Hawkins.
Pastoral Leadership
Ward Chapel and Greater Ward have been blessed to be served by many dedicated pastors throughout the years, including:
A.T. Harris
Dates Unknown
T.L. Singleton
Dates Unknown
X.L. Williams
Dates Unknown
O.L. Dawson
November 1952 – April 1972
I.C. Gordon
May 1972 – October 1982
L.E. Reid
November 1972 – October 1975
S.E. Braziel, Sr.
October 1978 – October 1982
A.V. Hawkins
October 1982 – November 1989
W.L. Brown
November 1990 – November 1991
M.C. Cooper
November 1991 – November 1993
Bennie Wilson
November 1993 – November 1999
James McLaughlin
November 1999 – November 2003
Richard Tankerson
November 2003 – November 2006
Eddie L. Everline, Jr.
November 2006 – May 2011
David Israel Madison
June 2011 – November 2017
Ricky D. Warren
November 2017 – Present
Each pastor has contributed to the continued growth and development of the congregation.
Under the leadership of Rev. Gordon, the parsonage was renovated, the sanctuary vestibule was improved, new draperies were purchased and installed, and new carpet was laid in the sanctuary. Under the direction of Rev. Reid, a private phone line was installed in the parsonage, drainage for the church lot was improved, the heating and air-conditioning system was upgraded to central air, a new church sign was purchased, and a new sanctuary ceiling was installed.
Rev. Hawkins led the church in installing aluminum columns on the front of the church, a new roof, and stained-glass windows in the sanctuary. He also replaced the chandeliers and purchased and installed larger air-conditioning units.
Under the leadership of Rev. W.L. Brown, the church purchased a new van and installed a new floor in the fellowship hall. During the leadership of Rev. E.L. Everline, Jr., the church purchased and installed a new marquee, renovated the men's restroom in the sanctuary, installed new carpet, and purchased two lots adjacent to the church property.
A Legacy of Ministry
Greater Ward A.M.E. Church has also been blessed to send forth ministers who have continued the work of ministry beyond the congregation. Ministers who are products of Greater Ward include:
Dr. Floyd Harold Flake
Alfred James Baker, Jr.
William Anderson
Joan Cooper
Debbie Waddell Ward
Sandra Flake Dever
The Late Reverends:
Green Heard
Steve Morrison
Marvin Dawson
Dave Ward, Sr.
Claude Lewis, Jr.
At the 5th Session of the Texas Annual Conference in November 2007, Presiding Bishop Gregory G.M. Ingram granted a resolution officially renaming the church Greater Ward A.M.E. Church.
Following the resignation of Rev. Eddie L. Everline, Jr. in July 2011, Bishop Gregory G.M. Ingram appointed Rev. David Israel Madison as pastor. Under Rev. Madison’s leadership, the congregation embraced the call to be “Moving ForWARD!” In 2015, Greater Ward’s historic legacy was formally recognized with the erection of an official Texas Historical Marker at 6822 Arabella Street. The marker commemorates the church’s founding in February 1913 and its significant history and lasting presence in the Acres Homes community, serving as a lasting testament to generations of faith, service, and leadership at Greater Ward A.M.E. Church.
Moving Forward Under
Rev. Ricky D. Warren
In November 2017, Bishop Vashti Murphy McKenzie appointed Rev. Ricky D. Warren as pastor of Greater Ward A.M.E. Church. Under the leadership of Rev. Warren, the church has continued to build upon its historic foundation while embracing new opportunities for worship, ministry, fellowship, outreach, and community engagement.
During this time, the congregation has increasingly embraced the name The ForWARD Church, a name that connects the church's historic identity as Greater Ward with its vision for the future. The church's motto, “Moving Forward, Reaching Higher, and Doing Greater,” expresses the congregation's commitment to continue advancing in faith, service, ministry, and community impact.
Under Rev. Warren's leadership, Greater Ward has continued to strengthen its ministries and outreach efforts, including prayer, Bible study, worship, women's ministry, missionary work, outreach and benevolence, food assistance, and community fellowship. The church has also created opportunities such as the Drive-Thru Prayer Breakfast, sponsored by the Clergy and Intercessory Prayer Ministry, and the Community Breakfast, sponsored by the Outreach and Benevolent Ministry.
The church remains committed to serving not only its members but also the surrounding Acres Homes community. This includes recognizing and responding to the needs of neighbors experiencing food insecurity, individuals and families in need, and unhoused individuals who are frequently seen throughout the surrounding neighborhood. The congregation continues to seek meaningful ways to provide prayer, encouragement, nourishment, fellowship, and practical assistance.
The ForWARD Church has also sought to create opportunities that address the needs of the whole person, including fellowship, women's gatherings, mental health awareness, community events, and other activities that strengthen relationships both within the congregation and throughout the community.
Today, Greater Ward A.M.E. Church stands as a living testimony to more than a century of faith, perseverance, service, and God's grace. From its humble beginnings in the home of Rev. John T. and Mrs. Cassie Williams, through fires, relocations, building projects, pastoral transitions, and generations of faithful ministry, the church has continued to grow while honoring the legacy of those who came before.
More than 100 years after its founding, Greater Ward remains committed to the work God has entrusted to this congregation.
We honor our past.
We embrace our present.
We prepare for our future.
Greater Ward A.M.E. Church — The ForWARD Church
Moving Forward. Reaching Higher. Doing Greater.
